Total Pageviews

Thursday 17 November 2011

Leafs this Week/ Toronto @ Nashville


This is my first entry of the week and there is a reason for that, I needed a break from the Leafs. It was a 3 day break but I needed a break especially after their game against Ottawa. One which I spent most of the game yelling at the TV, I felt a few days off would be good for me. So I’m back and ready to talk about the Leafs again, tonight they play Nashville, Franson and Lombardi make there return and with 7D in tonight ill be interested to see Gardiner play some forward time!

Now I want to talk goaltending, I’ve played net for going on 13 years now, and although I will never be close to the NHL level I do have a general understanding of the position. Having said that I am very impressed with Ben Scrivens, not only has he stolen games for us he has shown mental toughness not only within games (phoenix), but between games. Not only has he been mentally tough, but his style of play is very fitting for the NHL; he is in position, a good blocking goalie and can make some athletic saves when needed. Obviously I’m not the only one who sees this as he gets his 4th straight start tonight!

So what do I think Leafs need to do to win tonight? The answer is simple, or not so simple as the Leafs have struggled doing it this year; they need to score first, and early and often, they need to carry the play for 60 minutes. Now a lot of people will throw out the “they need to play for 60 minutes” im talking more than that, there have been games where it is obvious the Leafs have played 60 minutes yet failed to carry the play or win. Against a really good defensive team like Nashville with a good goalie the Leafs need to get on them early hopefully get a lead and then continue to put the foot to the floor so to speak.

It is important to note that the Leafs will have a different look tonight with Grabovski and Macarthur out of the lineup, hopefully Connolly and Kulemin can fins some chemistry and provide some much needed secondary scoring tonight GO LEAFS GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment